We may not be led up to a mountain with Jesus. We may not have the Lord transfigured before us. We may not have Moses and Elijah appear in front of our very eyes. There are very few similarities to that very unique and special occasion, and yet at the 2015 Lectureship we can still echo Peter’s words, “It is good for us to be here” (Matthew 17:4). Here are 10 reasons why it is good to be at the 2015 Bear Valley Lectureship:
- Partaking Of The Spiritual Feast Placed Before Us (Matthew 5:6). There are 29 lessons where we can come and be spiritually fed.
- Sitting At The Feet Of Smart and Spiritual Men (2 Timothy 2:2). Great effort and planning has been put forth to bring in some of the best speakers. We get to hear men (and a few women for the ladies’ classes) who have a great knowledge of Scripture and the have ability to communicate it.
- Studying Material Rarely Covered (Romans 15:4). The Minor Prophets are often neglected and overlooked, but now we have an opportunity to center in on them.
- Learning More About God’s Character. Judgment. Compassion for the faithful. Anger towards the sinful.
- Learning More About God’s Expectations. Obedience. Action. Repentance.
- Learning From The Mistakes Of Those Who Lived Before Us. We see the faithful few who stayed true to the Lord. We see many (such as Nineveh) who refused to obey the Lord and received condemnation.
- Seeing How The Minor Prophets Fit With The New Testament. In the Minor Prophets we are able to see many prophecies relating to the church, Christ, and the events of the first century. In many ways, these books are foundational to the New Testament.
- Seeing How Applicable The Prophets Are For Today (James 1:22-25). It’s amazing just how similar the time of the prophets is to our current culture.
- Fellowshipping With The Brethren (Hebrews 10:23-25). We have seen some of our best crowds in the history of our Lectureship. It’s wonderful to spend time meeting, catching up, hanging out, and studying God’s word with so many!
- Walking Away Spiritually Charged and Excited (Jeremiah 20:9). It’s nearly impossible to walk away from such powerful lessons unchanged. It is igniting, exhilarating, and rejuvenating!
So far it has been wonderful being here for the lectureship, but we can’t pretend for one second that this is the only place where this happens. In fact, usually on a smaller scale, this happens several times per week through out the world. Congregations of the Lord’s church often meet at least once per week to study God’s word. These same 10 aspects can apply nearly every time these congregations meet! If we skip out on opportunities to learn and worship with the church, we are neglecting great opportunities. It is an honor and a privilege to be among the brethren studying the Scriptures. When we come together to do so, without a doubt “it is good for us to be here.”