What does Chick-Fil-A and the Boy Scouts of America have in common? If you have kept up with the buzz lately, both of these groups are receiving heavy backlash for their stance against homosexuality. In response, Eagle Scouts have mailed in their medals to voice their disapproval. Others have vowed to no longer eat at Chick-Fil-A. There has been a huge amount of pressure put on by our culture lately to accept homosexuality. Such messages have come from videos, news cites, and even President Obama. Is our culture right? Has Chick-Fil-A and the Boy Scouts of America gone too far? As some are claiming, is this anti-gay stance just growing a new generation of prejudice and hate?
Determining which side is “right” and “wrong” can be slippery. Hopefully we can all agree that there is a right and wrong answer and the ultimate authority on this topic is God. After all, He said in Isaiah 55:8-9, “‘For My thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways My ways,’ declares the Lord. ‘For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts.’” God determines what is right and wrong, not men, not the President, and not our culture. It is ultimately His words we must follow (2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:3). So, where should we stand?
Here is what God has said on this topic:
- The only approved intimate, sexual, and marital relationship is between a man and a woman (Genesis 1-2; 2:18f; 2:24; Matthew 19:1f; 1 Corinthians 3:18f; Ephesians 5:22f; 1 Peter 3:1f; etc).
- Homosexuality was condemned in the Old Testament (Leviticus 18:22, 29; etc).
- Homosexuality was punished by death in the Old Testament (Leviticus 20:13).
- Entire cities were destroyed by God because of homosexuality (Genesis 19; 2 Peter 2:6-8; Jude 5-7).
- Homosexuality is a choice that can be changed and controlled (1 Corinthians 6:9-11, especially vs. 11 – “such were some of you”).
- Homosexuality is called unnatural and condemned in the New Testament (Romans 1:26-28; 1 Timothy 1:9-11; etc).
One has to do a lot of twisting and contorting to get around all of God’s teaching on this topic. God has clearly stated that homosexuality is wrong. This doesn’t mean God hates the sinner, but He does hate the sin. We should never act ugly and hateful towards homosexuals, but we most definitely should speak against this sin! Therefore, we should also show support for the position Chick-Fil-A and the Boy Scouts have taken and applaud them for their boldness. We should even join with them in proclaiming God’s truth about homosexuality.
Chances are very unlikely that taking this stance against homosexuality will be popular, but the truth has rarely been popular in the first place (Galatians 4:16). Even God Son was persecuted, ridiculed, and killed for teaching the unpopular truth! For this reason, I pray that we have the courage to repeat the apostles’ bold exclamation, “We must obey God rather than men” (Acts 5:29).